How Does Hook and Loop Work?
How to choose the best hook and loop for your application
Hook and loop is an extremely versatile fastening solution that is used in virtually every industry, from textiles to medical equipment. Determining the best hook and loop solution for your requirements depends on a number of factors, the most common of which include the following.
- Application – Consider the application of the fastener and how it will be applied. Will it be sewn on, glued or welded? This determines not only what the material should be but also what backing should be used.
- Environment – There are different hook and loop solutions for both indoor and outdoor applications due to various environmental conditions the hook and loop fastener could be exposed to. Another important consideration is whether the end product is likely to be exposed to high temperatures. For example, a standard hook and loop fastener using synthetic nylon can melt or deform when exposed to high heat, causing the bond to significantly weaken. Metallic fasteners can withstand much higher temperatures and are a much better fit when heat resistance is required.
- End use – What will the fastener ultimately be used for? There are endless uses for hook and loop fasteners and their versatility make them ideal in so many ways. The end use will determine what materials should be used, the backing of the fastener and how strong it needs to be to ensure that it is fit for purpose over a long period of time.
- Usage – How many times is the fastener going to be opened and closed? A shoe for example could be used multiple times a day, meaning that a low strength solution (one loop engaging with every three loops) that can withstand multiple uses will be required. A hook and loop fastener used to prevent carpets from sliding in cars will be exposed to far less use, so a high strength (almost all hooks link with almost all loops) solution would be better.
- Strength – How strong should the hook and loop bond be? As an example, you wouldn’t need a coat pocket to be of high strength since the user would need to apply too much force to open it, but a fastener that holds up a large banner would need to be considerably stronger.
Lean manufacturing methods and extensive stock holding capabilities. You can rely on us.
Compliant & Certified
All products and processes are subjected to rigorous quality checks. You can trust us.
Looking for a bespoke product to suit your exact requirements? Just ask us.